|Thirty Class 16A Garratts were built by Beyer Peacock between 1952 and 1953. They are a modified and revised version of
the original 16th Class.
Fifteen locomotives remained in Zambia when the railway split in 1968 and those remaining in Rhodesia were renumbered
from 601 to 615. All 15 locomotives were refurbished and fitted with roller bearings between 1979 and 1980. This added
about 8 tons in weight, and also increased water and coal capacity where new bunkers were fitted.
Built for heavy branch line working, particularly in the copperbelt, their maximum speed is around 80 km per hour.
Not normally used on passenger trains, they were extensively utilised on coal trains out of Thomson Junction, with their
tractive effort fitting between the Class 15 and 20 Garratts.
# 623 is preserved at Livingstone, Zambia